Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Springtime Robin


My first Robin sighting in my yard this year was March 11th. This particular painting is of a Robin that I'd seen after Duluth's terrible winter of 2013-14. It was eating serviceberries that stayed on the tree throughout the winter. Last year, I planted a row of Saskatoon serviceberries which produced small amounts of delicious berries, but the jury is still out whether or not they'll reach their full potential. I'm hoping for significant growth, but spring is keeping its distance this year, so I'll need patience. As I write this, it's snowing to beat heck and there's a Winter Weather Advisory. Whatever. It's Duluth.

Large flocks of redpolls are on the move, as well as dark-eyed juncos. Fox sparrows, a groundhog, red squirrels, and chipmunks have all appeared, as well as an unidentified song of a warbler. I just hate it when I don't recognize a warbler call! Anyway, my goal is to have a yard that provides a smorgasbord for birds, as well as shelter. And like last year, next month more planting begins. Around 100 trees and shrubs are planned. Stay tuned, more artwork will be posted soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment