Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Dellora's Way

Oil - 10 x 20 inches

In February, I spent a little time birding on Florida's gulf coast. When I go birding far away, I like to frequent places I haven't visited before. Part of the fun is in the adventure. Without much planning and using a good, old-fashioned, paper map, one of the places I picked was Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park due to its state park status, its proximity, and unfamiliarity. The park is a popular beach area in Naples and came to be, in part, thanks to the generosity of Dellora Norris. At age 15, she became an heiress to the Texaco family fortune and quietly gave much of her money away to charity before passing away in 1979. 

One of my fondest memories of my visit to this park was this lovely Black-bellied Plover, the inspiration for this painting. She seemed so peaceful and content, even in front of my camera's lens. I took note of her unassuming nature, her beauty, and the items around her. The shells, pebbles, and beach plants seemed as much a part of her as did her own feathers. This is when life makes sense to me and feels so right. The other nice memory I have from this park's visit is watching two boys cast for bait alongside a patient Pelican and an eager Snowy Egret. The boys giggled and marveled at the birds' success, all the while exasperated with their own inadequacies. Both birds proved better fishers than the boys.




No comments:

Post a Comment