Friday, November 10, 2017

Palm Warbler on the Skunk Cabbage Trail

Oil - 4 x 4 inches

This past summer, I've spent a significant amount of time working on a larger piece which will be posted soon. In the meantime, I'll catch you up on some smaller works that have been drying in my drawer for a couple of months now.

I almost named this painting Hot Potato, except that would’ve been more of a reflection of my experience shortly after I saw this Palm Warbler at Banning State Park in Minnesota. It was May of this year, and even though it was a pretty nice day to go for a walk in the park, the ground was very wet in many areas, especially on the Skunk Cabbage Trail. Birding was a bit disappointing overall. I expected to see a lot more than just this warbler and a couple of robins, but that’s how it goes sometimes. After catching glimpses of this bird bathing in a puddle in the woods, it flew to a branch to preen. With disheveled feathers, it had a lot of work to do. But I didn’t stay long on the trail at all because I soon discovered a deer tick on my pants. After removing it, I hightailed it back to the paved road as if the trail were on fire, zigzagging through muddy puddles, fallen logs, and patches of grass as fast as I could. My feet were like hot potatoes trying to keep those nasty arachnids away from me! When it comes to those critters, I'm a wimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment