Monday, August 15, 2022

A Sweeter Smile

Oil on Panel - 4 x 4 inches

Since moving to my home eight years ago, two species of birds bred in my yard/neighborhood this summer for the first time that I noticed. One was the Red-bellied Woodpecker, the other a Great-crested Flycatcher. 

The flycatcher that I painted (shown above) was photographed in Moose Lake State Park, Minnesota, on May 15, 2022, but I took photos of an adult feeding a juvenile atop my garden fence just a little over two weeks ago. That adult may have been the same one I witnessed searching for a nesting site this past spring on May 27th. 

Great-crested Flycatchers. Adult feeding juvenile
atop my garden fence on July 29, 2022.

Great-crested Flycatchers are fun to watch while snapping up bugs from tree branches in open areas of the forest. Unlike other species that hide in dense canopy or forage in leaf litter, these birds often allow for great visualization opportunities. In addition, they commonly announce their presence with fairly loud “wheep” calls, so you’ll most likely hear one before you see one. Once their voices are learned, they’re a species that’s hard to ignore. 

A couple of interesting fact about this bird that I particularly like are the following. They are the only Eastern flycatcher that nests in a cavity; and they weave snake skins into their nests when readily available.

On a side note, thank you to all who attended the opening receptions on August 5th at MacRostie Art Center in Grand Rapids and Edge Center Arts in Bigfork, Minnesota. I was able to make both shows with a pre-determined driving schedule, but unfortunately couldn’t be at two places at once for the awards ceremonies. I enjoyed meeting artists and attendees, and was very pleased that a couple of my paintings had their day in the sun. Both shows are open for a little while longer, I hope you can visit the galleries if you get a chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment