Friday, February 10, 2023

Boreal, Among the Lichen

 

Oil on Panel - 4 x 4 inches

    This is a painting of a Boreal Chickadee as seen in Sax-Zim Bog recently. I spent time in two locations hoping to see this bird, and was rewarded. When it comes to birding, patience can be the thing that is tested the most. At the second location I visited, I heard its call. That’s when I knew for certain there have been Boreal Chickadees at my home in Duluth, it’s just that I haven’t seen them yet. A year or two ago, I heard the same call that I heard from the Boreal Chickadee in the Bog. Their call is described as sounding like a Black-capped Chickadee with laryngitis. Next time I hear them at my home, I will pay closer attention. 
    This particular Boreal Chickadee was bouncing around a tamarack tree containing lichen (pronounced “liken”). Lichens are hardy organisms, both algae and fungi, and can survive our frigid winter weather. To me, lichens add interest and color to trees; but of course, trees are great all on their own, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment